Alpha Psi Saddles Up For Rodeo

The brothers of Alpha Psi veterinary fraternity will host their annual rodeo this Saturday, April 10.

"It's such a big event that people definitely do not want to miss," said Daniel Priest, second-year veterinary student and rodeo chair. "It's definitely a tailgating, gameday atmosphere except it's at a rodeo, so it's a lot of fun."

The event, which has been a mainstay in the Auburn community since the late '60s, is Alpha Psi's main philanthropy event.

Each year, the rodeo raises thousands of dollars for local charities and the veterinary school.

"We raise money for Storybook Farms in Opelika and various mission trips going on in the vet school," said Michael Roeder, second-year veterinary student and president of Alpha Psi. "All of the proceeds go to charity. It's a complete non-profit event."

Roeder did not know the exact amount of money the Alpha Psi rodeo raises each year for Storybook Farms, but said the donation is more than a few thousand dollars.

"We have been donating to them for a long time now," Roeder said. "Being the veterinary fraternity, we know the upkeep that goes on out there so it is good to be able to help them out."

The day's activities will begin with a yard party to entertain those who chose to show up before the rodeo begins at 11 a.m.

Rodeo events will include bull riding, team roping, steer wrestling and bareback riding.

Most participants in the rodeo events are Auburn students, but anyone is welcome to join according to Roeder.

The day's events will close out with a concert featuring Cross Canadian Ragweed with Blackberry Smoke and Hunter Lawley Band playing in support.

"(Cross Canadian Ragweed) is a tough band to get because they are real particular about where they play," Priest said. "But they played in Auburn in November and apparently there was a lot of good feedback from that so they decided to come back. But this is not a normal concert they would play."

Tickets to the rodeo are $25 and are available at Store 17 on South College Street or at the Alpha Psi house from noon until 6 p.m. today 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. tomorrow.

Tickets will also be available at the gate on the day of the event for $30.

Priest said the brothers of Alpha Psi heard rumors the event would only sell 10,000 tickets this year.

Priest said any story about a limited capacity at the event was only a rumor and the fraternity is expecting upwards of 12,000 people to come out Saturday.

"We're definitely not going to stop selling tickets," Priest said. "I don't think we can reach capacity there. Plus there will be satellite parking lots with shuttle services to try to get everyone out there."

Priest said, overall, the rodeo has been and will be a positive event for Alpha Psi.

"It's really a lot of fun," Priest said. "It's great for us that so many people are interested, it not just kind of advertises itself. It's a really, really big philanthropy."

Priest said there are many benefits to hosting the rodeo each year.

"It enables us to make a lot of money for some really good charities and it allows us to put on the rodeo the next year," Priest said.

Share and discuss “Alpha Psi Saddles Up For Rodeo” on social media.