Chubb suspended indefinitely

CHUBB
CHUBB

In the early morning hours of Jan. 30, Auburn fans celebrated the men's basketball team's first SEC win of the season.

One player celebrated a bit too hard, and the consequences are affecting the whole team.

Sophomore center Rob Chubb was arrested in downtown Auburn on charges of public intoxication, disorderly conduct, eluding a police officer and resisting arrest.

According to police reports, both Chubb and the arresting officer sustained injuries during the incident.

The evening prior to his arrest, Chubb scored a career-best 18 points and came down with six rebounds in the 79-64 victory against South Carolina.

Thursday, Feb. 3, head coach Tony Barbee announced Chubb was suspended from all team activities for a violation of team rules.

Chubb was noticeably absent from the team's bench during the Tennessee game.

Barbee discussed Chubb's absence following the 69-56 loss to Tennessee four days after the incident.

Barbee said he was disappointed in his player, and he felt Chubb was starting to get into a rhythm before the arrest.

"He was starting to become an offensive threat," Barbee said. "Not having that tonight was a big hole. I'm disappointed in him, but whoever plays in his place needs to step up to the opportunity."

Chubb was arrested at 1:47 a.m. at the intersection of Genelda Avenue and Thomas Street according to a police report.

According to the Opeilka-Auburn News, Lee County Sheriff Jay Jones said Chubb was released later that day on $1,800 bond: $500 for disorderly conduct, attempting to elude an officer and resisting arrest and $300 for the public intoxication charge.

Chubb faces four misdemeanor charges and a faces an April 7 court date in Auburn Municipal Court.

The 6-foot-11 Peachtree City, Ga., averaged 8.1 points per game and rebounds per game in the Tigers' first 21 games.

Since his suspension, Auburn has struggled to replace his presence at the low end of the court.

Junior forward Adrian Forbes and sophomore forward Ty Armstrong have both been playing more in Chubb's absence.

However, Armstrong is returning from a summer ACL surgery and plays sparingly.

At the SEC coaches teleconference Monday, Barbee reinforced Chubb's suspension, saying the player broke a team rule and would not be involved in any team activities until further notice.

Share and discuss “Chubb suspended indefinitely” on social media.