AU cross-country to battle the Trojans this Saturday

The Tigers and the Trojans are set to meet Saturday at Troy University for their first cross-country meet.

Auburn has several returning runners and a few newcomers to complete the team roster.

"Coming back on the men's side, Niklas Buhner from Germany is back," said coach Mark Carroll. "Niklas joined us last year in the spring, so he didn't have a cross-country season last year."

The men's team has a variety of seniors and freshmen.

"We have Jeff Sanders, who last year was away on international studies, and he's back," Carroll said. "Jeff is a senior in cross-country, and Niklas will only be a freshman in cross-country, which is great. He's really young."

Senior Joby Peake is the team captain for the men.

Other returning runners include Jason Miller, Samuel Mueller and Andrew Scott.

"All had big summers of training from what they tell me," Carroll said. "So, all in all, I think we will be in good shape on the men's side."

On the women's side, the Tigers have more newcomers than returners.

"We have Elizabeth Briasco back this year and Erika Kolakowski," Caroll said. "They will be joined by some of our signees, Samantha Berger from Colorado and Molly Pezzulo from upstate New York and a few other young ladies. We are a young team on that side."

Nine of the women on the cross-country team this year are freshmen.

"We are in a bit of the rebuilding phase with the women, but we've worked hard, and I think we'll have a good first step and a few good years to come," Carroll said.

The Trojans closed the 2010-11 season by sending three runners, Enock Kirui, Sylvia Chirchir and Agnes Kapsoiyo, to the NCAA South Regional meet in Birmingham.

They've been preparing for the upcoming season with workouts and daily practices in attempt to have another successful season.

"Now that they're back in school again we've been doing some workouts and getting after it," said Jill Lancaster, Troy University director of track and field and cross-country. "They did really well last season and we're looking to see how they do again."

Some returning runners for the Trojans include Allison and Morgan Paulson, Kapsoiyo and Kirui.

"We have the twins Morgan and Allison leading the women on along with Agnes," Lancaster said. "Agnes came on really strong last season and did really well, so the three of them are going to do a great job again, I'm sure."

Troy has also added several freshmen to the cross-country team.

"We've had some underclassmen come along as well that are pushing the returners in practice right now, and they're looking good, too, so we're really excited," Lancaster said.

Along with new recruits, Troy has a new assistant coach, Casey McDermott.

"I'm excited about their work ethic, too," McDermott said. "So far at practice the incoming class is really jumping on board and working hard."

The SEC, which is known for being extremely competitive, appears to be just as competitive in 2011.

"The SEC always has some very, very good teams" Carroll sad. "Arkansas in particular, I think, will be a forced to be reckoned with. The University of Florida is always pretty good. Georgia is pretty solid."

Both teams are working on their times and preparing for later meets.

"I really think going forward that we focus on our team," Carroll said. "Every day is important in the process of getting ready for those pre-SEC meets."

Share and discuss “AU cross-country to battle the Trojans this Saturday” on social media.