Texan group makes Auburn debut

The Texas Guitar Quartet is scheduled to perform Thursday at the Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art. (CONTRIBUTED)

The Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art is scheduled to get a taste of Texas when the Texas Guitar Quartet, a premier guitar ensemble based out of Austin, performs Thursday.

The quartet emerged as a graduate student group in 2005 and has been playing together ever since.

"Our music includes a little bit of everything," said quartet member Alejandro Montiel. "We're mixing it up with some of the more traditional chamber pieces."

Each member has a different style and set of original arrangements, giving the quartet strength of sound and musical variety.

"Overall it's very entertaining and easy to follow, and I'm sure people will love it," Montiel said.

Events at which the quartet has performed include the Texas Music Festival in Houston and the 2011 Victoria Bach Festival, where the group was the first guitar ensemble to ever be featured.

The JCSM performance will be held in collaboration with the Chattahoochee Valley Guitar Society, a foundation that invites classical guitarists to Auburn/Opelika two to three times a year.

"I think it's a great cultural experience," said Colleen Bourdeau, JCSM marketing and events manager. "You're getting the chance to hear professional guitarists perform for just a fraction of the cost of what it would be if it wasn't sponsored by the museum and the Chattahoochee Valley Guitar Society."

In addition to performing for audiences around the world and in a multitude of international guitar competitions, the quartet also includes a touring artist on the Texas Commission on the Arts roster.

The TCA is a state agency that provides support for the arts and cultural industries.

"We give support through providing grants and technical assistance and promoting artists and arts events across Texas," said Jim McMillan, deputy director for the TCA.

Since there are few performing classical guitar quartets, there is an essence of novelty to the performance.

"You never really see a lot of guitar quartets come and play in your town, so the curiosity factor and the novelty factor, I think, really does tend to bring in a different kind of audience," Montiel said.

Arrangements being performed Thursday night include original compositions from the 19th century and Spanish-inspired music.

This is the first time the ensemble will play in the Auburn area. Tickets for the event are $5 in advance or $10 at the door. The concert starts at 7 p.m on Sept. 10.

Share and discuss “Texan group makes Auburn debut” on social media.