NROTC gets its Halloween on

Mundy Trail, which is used by the Auburn Marines for physical fitness training, is the site of NROTC's Haunted Trail and Carnival. (Alex Sager / ASSOCIATE PHOTO EDITOR)

Danger: The Mundy Trail will be haunted with ghosts and goblins Oct. 26-27.

Naval ROTC will host its first Haunted Trail and Carnival next week. The event, which will be located at the intersection of Samford and Shug Jordan Parkway, will benefit various NROTC service organizations and future events, such as the warrior foundation Marine Corps Ball.

Alex Sherrod, senior in business administration and director of the Haunted Trail and Carnival, said the NROTC hopes to accomplish three goals with the event.

"First, we want to provide a fun and inviting atmosphere to celebrate the Halloween season for students as well as the surrounding community," Sherrod said. "We also want to strengthen our relationship between Naval ROTC and Auburn University and raise money and awareness for each community's service organization."

The carnival will be from 5-7 p.m. and features events such as a pumpkin pie walk, bobbing for apples, a candy in the haystack search, face painting and pumpkin painting.

After 7 p.m., the haunted trail will begin.

"When the sun goes down, we're going to transition over in to the more trail aspect," said Chris Rutledge, junior in business and logistics officer for the trail. "Then we're going to send people through the trails in groups and just do our best to scare them."

NROTC hopes the event will attract students as well as the surrounding community, Rutledge said.

"We're trying to include the entire community, which is why we have the carnival section, which is more for families and children to come around and get candy and play games," said Danielle Lowe, junior in fine art and Mariner member, the auxiliary support for the ROTC. "But we also want to definitely bring in the college crowd with the haunted trail."

This is the first Halloween event the NROTC has hosted to raise money for their service organizations.

Lowe said she hopes the carnival and trail will become an annual event.

"It's going to be a lot of fun, especially if you go with a group of friends," Lowe said. "It's Halloween, and I feel like everybody just wants to get scared."

Aubie will be at the event Wednesday night for photo opportunities. Thursday night ROTC members will dress up as characters from the musical "Wicked" and take pictures with guests.

"We're also at the same time going to be playing the Charlie Brown Halloween movie and have popcorn that we popped and sell that for around 25 cents a bag," said Ashley Mundy, senior in art and Mariner member.

Each event will require a certain number of tickets, which can be purchased before entering.

"Just come out and expect to have a good time while supporting a good cause," Rutledge said.

Share and discuss “NROTC gets its Halloween on” on social media.