Bruce Pearl supports local charity with Fore The Children Golf Tournament

Bruce Pearl's Fore the Children Golf Tournament will take place Oct. 27 at Willow Point Golf Course. (Raye May | Photo Editor)

Bruce Pearl, men's basketball head coach, has partnered with Children's Harbor to host Fore the Children Golf Tournament. The event will take place Oct. 27 at Willow Point Golf Course and Country Club in Alexander City.
Celebrating its 25th anniversary, Children's Harbor is a non-profit dedicated to supporting children with serious illnesses.
Fore the Children Golf Tournament is held completely through sponsorship. The Children's Harbor facilities are maintained through donations and by patrons, such as Pearl.
"My wife Brandy and I are excited about starting a new partnership with Children's Harbor," Pearl said in a press statement. "It is my hope that our Fore the Children Golf Tournament can help ease the burdens of many families in need."
Children's Harbor has two locations: Lake Martin and the Family Center of Benjamin Russell Children's Hospital in Birmingham.
Children's Harbor at Lake Martin provides 66 acres of campgrounds at no cost to the families.
More than 5,000 campers with illnesses, such as cancer, spina bifida, autism and those who have gone through transplants have visited the lake campus.
In Birmingham, children are able to take part in counseling services, education and tutoring sessions, scheduled activities, enjoy an exercise room, library, salon and game room for free.
Myrle Grate, chief operating officer for Children's Harbor, oversees the operation and staffing of both the Birmingham and lake campuses.
As a former pastor, he has the opportunity to help people through the news that their child is sick. It turns a family's life upside-down and relieves the pressures of illness, Grate said.
"A mom had three boys who were born with autism," Grate said. "After visiting one of our specialized camps for autistic children, the mother approached our staff, and with tears in her eyes said our camp was the only place she felt her children were welcome."
Grate said one of the things that inspired him was Pearl's dedication to the project. He does not try to use his celebrity to get his players free things, instead he uses it to gain support for the program, Grate said.
Jay Jacobs, Auburn athletic director, said seeing Auburn athletic coaches involved in non-profit work is something he loves Auburn staff to be a part of.
"Bruce is a passionate and caring man, and Children's Harbor could not have a better advocate for their great cause," Jacobs said. "I am always excited to see our coaches get involved with community service, and Children's Harbor is a terrific organization."
Sunday, Oct. 26, Pearl is also hosting a dinner and auction at his home to benefit Children's Harbor.
To participate in the game there is a $5,000 buy-in and $10,000 for sponsorship of the event.
Anyone interested should contact Chad Prewett in the Auburn athletic offices at cgp0011@auburn.edu or call 334-844-9760.

Share and discuss “Bruce Pearl supports local charity with Fore The Children Golf Tournament” on social media.