Outback Bowl Preview: No.19 Auburn vs. No. 18 Wisconsin

(Raye May | Photo Editor)
(Raye May | Photo Editor)

The Auburn Tigers (8-4) will take on the Wisconsin Badgers of the Big Ten (10-3) Thursday, Jan. 1 on ESPN2. Both teams are coming off tough losses, but offensive stars on both teams make this an interesting matchup to watch.

Scouting the Badgers
The Badgers have been near the top of the FBS in terms of running the football all season, long led by their Heisman Trophy candidate Melvin Gordon. The factor-back has recently confirmed with the media that he will forgo his final season of eligibility at Wisconsin and become available for selection in April's NFL Draft.
Wisconsin's best win of the season came in the form of a 59-24 beatdown of Nebraska, where Gordon rushed for 408 yards on 25 carries, breaking LaDainian Tomlison's record for the most rushing yards in a single game in FBS history. The record was then broken a week later by Oklahoma running back Samaje Perine.
Coming off a 59-0 loss to Ohio State where he was held to 76 yards on the ground, Gordon will be looking to finish off his college career with a bang. The junior running back is having one of the best seasons by a running back in recent memory with 2,336 yards rushing and 29 total touchdowns.
The Badgers have given multiple looks at the quarterback position this season, but neither Joel Stave or Tanner McEvoy have proven to be effective threats under center.
Wisconsin's defense will limp into this matchup after being torched by third-string sophomore quarterback Cardale Jones and the Buckeyes during last week's Big Ten championship.
With head coach Gary Anderson leaving the program to take the same position at Oregon State, Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez plans to have a new coach in place before Jan. 1. Anderson went 19-7 during his two seasons at Wisconsin.

Scouting the Tigers
Although slow starts and uncharacteristic turnovers ultimately derailed Auburn's hopes of returning to the big game, the Tigers head into the Outback Bowl with confidence on the offensive side of the ball after putting up video game-like numbers against Alabama.
Auburn's defense continued to struggle against the Crimson Tide. Former Auburn defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson had no answer for wide receiver Amari Cooper who set an Iron Bowl record with 13 receptions for 224 yards and 3 touchdowns. However, the Tigers racked up a whopping 630 yards against Nick Saban's defense in the loss.
Senior quarterback Nick Marshall had arguably his best career game as a passer, throwing for 456 yards and three touchdowns while Sammie Coates and Duke Williams had monster nights, combining for 327 yards receiving.
Even in the loss to Alabama, it's clear Gus Malzahn's offense remains one of the best units in the country led by Nick Marshall and the SEC's leading rusher Cameron Artis-Payne.

Final verdict
After a Cinderella season a year ago, a tough schedule brought the Tigers back down to Earth. Regardless, Auburn still remains an extremely dangerous football team.
The Tigers are coming off one of their best offensive performances of the season while Wisconsin's defense has been struggling to keep opposing teams from scoring all year.
Melvin Gordon will run wild against the Tigers in this one, but Auburn's defensive line should be able to cause just enough disruption to force Wisconsin quarterback Joel Stave into some bad throws and take the Badgers out of their rhythm.
In the end, Wisconsin won't be able to keep pace with the firework show that is the Auburn offense, and I expect Gus Malzahn and the Tigers to run away with this one and end the year with a great bowl win.
Prediction: Auburn 38, Wisconsin 14

Share and discuss “Outback Bowl Preview: No.19 Auburn vs. No. 18 Wisconsin” on social media.