Women's basketball falls in Columbia to No.1 South Carolina

"Senior Hasina Muhammad led Auburn with a season-high 26 points on 8-of-18 shooting." (Emily Enfinger l Assistant Photo Editor)

Despite a furious second-half rally, Auburn's comeback bid was denied as No.1 South Carolina pulled away for a 77-58 win Friday, Jan. 2, in Colonial Life Arena in front of a crowd of 16,456.

After being outscored by the Gamecocks 34-17 during the first 20 minutes of the game, Auburn went on a 16-4 run to start the second half cutting South Carolina's lead to eight points.

However, the game would not get any closer as South Carolina responded with a 19-4 run of their own to put the win out of reach.

The Gamecocks shot 48.4 percent from the floor for the game and had five players in double figures. A'ja Wilson led South Carolina with 12 points and 10 rebounds.

Senior Hasina Muhammad led Auburn with a season-high 26 points on 8-of-18 shooting (10-for-10 from the free throw line).

The Tigers will play their first home SEC game Sunday, Jan. 4, against the Florida Gators at 3 p.m. in the Auburn Arena.

Share and discuss “Women's basketball falls in Columbia to No.1 South Carolina” on social media.