UPDATE: Gay and Ross streets railroad crossings will remain open for weekend

UPDATE: CSX reopened the Gay and Ross streets railroad crossings for the weekend. Both crossings will close again Monday, March 2, and are not expected to reopen until Wednesday, March 4, according to a City of Auburn press release. 

The College Street and Stage Road crossings will remain closed until the work is complete.

Train freight company CSX Corp. began laying out new rails at multiple railroad crossings in Auburn on Monday, Feb. 23.

CSX crews will return Thursday, Feb. 26 at 7 a.m. to finish the work on the crossings at North College, North Gay, North Ross streets and Stage Road.

The crossing may be closed at the same time, according to David Dorton, director of Public Affairs for the City of Auburn.

"We'll work with them as best we can on traffic flow," Dorton said.

The crews will be replacing the steel rails on the track, according to Kristin Seay, media relations with CSX.

CSX may take until Wednesday, March 4, to complete the work. Traffic delays can be expected.

The construction will move west, so other crossings could be closed at a later date, such as the East University Drive crossings, according to Dorton.

Dorton said cities have no control over which crossings are closed because railroads fall under federal control.

Share and discuss “UPDATE: Gay and Ross streets railroad crossings will remain open for weekend” on social media.