Teaching adults to read between the wines

The Lee County Literacy Coalition is hosting its third annual "Reading Between the Wines" fundraiser Thursday, Feb. 26 at 6 p.m. The event will take place at the Event Center Downtown in Opelika.
There will be dinner and a wine tasting, and author Rhonda Rich will speak. There will also be music provided by The Mary Slaton Trio.
Rich, who was once a sports writer, is now known for her best-selling books, such as My Life in The Pits, a book about her time as a reporter covering NASCAR, according to her website.
"It's a good time for a great cause, and this year will be no exception," said Chris Warren, board member of the Lee County Literacy Coalition.
Warren is helping plan the event and said he thought Rich would be a good fit for the fundraiser after he saw her speak at a Rotary event.
Warren said the Lee County Literacy Coalition often brings in authors to speak about literacy issues.
Warren said community involvement is necessary for the event.
"The event wouldn't be possible without support of the community," Warren said.
Warren also said there is "no particular goal" for how much money they hope to raise from the event. However, they hope for at least 100 attendees.
Warren said the Lee County Literacy Coalition is always looking for volunteers.
According to Warren, much of the money raised from the event will go toward purchasing teaching materials and GED software.
"The main expense we have is supplies," said Bill Walsh, former president and secretary of the Lee County Literacy Coalition.
Walsh was a tutor with the coalition for 10 years.
Walsh said he originally worked in textile engineering, but heard about the Lee County Literacy Coalition through friends from his church.
Walsh said he once tutored a man who had a learning disability and had to drop out of school at a young age.
Walsh said the man memorized the book of Genesis in the Bible and referenced it to learn the words.
"I worked with that man for almost 10 years and enjoyed every bit of it," Walsh said.
Walsh said the event is primarily a fundraiser, but it brings great visibility for the organization.
Walsh said students could help with "The Deliverance," an after school program the Lee County Literacy Coalition works with.
"This is our 25th anniversary this year," said Sue Edge, executive director of the Lee County Literacy Coalition.
Edge said the mission of the Lee County Literacy Coalition is to reach out to the community to assist people by offering tutoring and GED classes.
In 2013, the program helped 113 youth and 94 adults, and 36 percent of people who took classes to earn a GED earned one, according to Edge.
Edge said there are Auburn students who tutor and intern with the Lee County Literacy Coalition.
Auburn students looking to get involved with the organization can call Edge at (334) 705-0001.
Tickets are on sale at Behind the Glass, the Event Center Downtown in Opelika and Spicer's Music in Auburn. Tickets are $50 per person.

Share and discuss “Teaching adults to read between the wines” on social media.