21 Tigers showcase skill sets at 2015 Pro Day

Football

In front of scouts from all 32 NFL teams, including Patriots coach and six-time Super Bowl champion Bill Belichick, Tigers hoping to up their draft stock participated in various drills and exercises.

In the vertical jump, running back Corey Grant posted the second highest leap, jumping 37 inches. Just behind Grant was were defensive backs Jonathon Mincy and Trovon Reed, who both posted a jump of 35.5 inches.

Linebacker/defensive back Brandon King posted the highest vertical at 38 inches. 

Others participating in the drill included tight end C.J. Uzomah (31 inches), receiver Quan Bray (34 inches), and Robinson Therezie with a 34.5.

Grant also impressed on the bench press, putting up 22 reps of 225 lbs. Bray had 12, offensive lineman Chad Slade had 25, LaDarious Owens has 29 and defensive lineman Jeff Whittaker led all players with 41.

Coach Gus Malzahn said it was rewarding to see Whittaker perform so well in front of scouts after battling injuries throughout his playing career.

“He’s been one of our leaders since he’s been here,” Malzahn said. “He’s been an extension of the coaches since he’s been here, and he’ll definitely be missed.”

Sammie Coates, who stuck with his most of his numbers from the NFL combine, took part in passing drills, and said he came out with something to prove.

“I went out there and showed I could run routes and catch with my hands,” Coates said. “That was my whole goal coming into today. “

Coates said he was determined to use Pro Day to change the perception that scouts or media may have of him.

“I’m a freak athlete that can’t catch’ is the biggest thing out there,” Coates said. “I heard that from a lot of people but hey, they saw me catch the ball today, so what else are they going to say now?”

As expected, Grant shone when it came time to run the 40-yard dash, posting an unofficial 4.28.

“Overall I think I had a pretty good day,” Grant said. “Looking back at what backs did at the combine, I think I did pretty good.”

Quarterback-turned-defensive back Nick Marshall also let his number from the combine stand, but did take place in throwing drills, with Belichick standing close by.

Malzahn said even with the position change, he still believes Marshall can be a competent quarterback at the next level.

“I think I’ve made my opinion known,” Malzahn said. “I think in the right system, not only can he play quarterback, but can be very successful. I’m going to support 110 percent whatever position (he decides to play)”

The 2015 NFL draft will go from Thursday, April 30 to Saturday, May 2.

Share and discuss “21 Tigers showcase skill sets at 2015 Pro Day” on social media.