Montgomery's career day lifts Tigers over Alabama

Women's Basketball

Auburn women's basketball ended their regular season schedule on a three game winning streak as the Tigers took down in-state rival Alabama 80-73 on Senior Day.

Sophomore Brandy Montgomery led all scorers with a career-high 30-points on 12-for-17 shooting. Neydja Petithomme added 12 points and five assists.

“I was just feeling it," Montgomery said. "It was one of those games where I was on. This is my first time (scoring 30 in college)."

Hannah Cook scored 24 points for Alabama in the loss.

Auburn was opportunistic on offense, scoring 15 points off of second-chance opportunities, and 12 points in transition.

Defensively the Tigers played energized, forcing Alabama into 24 turnovers that resulted in 30 points for Auburn.

“They have really bought into playing our defense like it should be played," Coach Williams-Flournoy said. "They’ve been playing it, they just haven’t been playing it with the intensity and energy that we need them to play it.”

Auburn (12-17, 3-13 SEC) will now prepare to head to Little Rock, Arkansas for the first round of the SEC Tournament on March 4th in a rematch against the Florida Gators (13-16, 5-11 SEC).

Suddenly finding themselves on a winning streak, Williams-Flournoy believes her team is ready to ride this momentum into a first round win.

“We are on a run," Williams-Flournoy said. " We don’t have to get hot anymore. We’ve got to stay on this high. That’s what we need to do. As I told them before this game, we’re not stopping now. We are working hard, and now we are about to work even harder.”

Tipoff will be at 6 p.m and the game will be televised by SEC Network. 

Share and discuss “Montgomery's career day lifts Tigers over Alabama ” on social media.