Base-clearing triple keeps the Tigers out of reach in series opener

Auburn (11-3) picked up its ninth win in its last ten games with a 7-2 win over Xavier (4-7) Friday at Plainsman Park.

Auburn catcher Blake Logan’s triple off Xavier’s Brad Kirschner, who has allowed only one run all season, sealed the victory in the first ever meeting between the two teams.

The Tigers already had a 3-0 lead when Auburn’s Jackson Burgreen singled on a bunt to load the bases in the bottom of the fifth for Logan to clear the bases with a shot to left-center and make it 6-1.

The Tigers’ first three points came early.

Junior Cody Nulph, who had three hits on the day, hit a two-run single in the bottom of the first inning to put the Tigers on the board and junior Alex Polston scored on a sac fly from sophomore Damon Haecker in the second inning.

Another Tiger run scored in the seventh inning from a sophomore J.J. Shaffer single.

Starting pitcher Cole Lipscomb picked up his third win, allowing four hits and one run in six innings. The redshirt sophomore struck out five and didn’t walk a batter.

Sophomore centerfielder Anfernee Grier extended his hitting streak to 16 games with two more hits Friday.

Auburn meets Xavier for game two of the series Saturday, March 7, at 1 p.m. at Plainsman Park.

Share and discuss “Base-clearing triple keeps the Tigers out of reach in series opener” on social media.