Council approves emergency funding for Indian Pines Golf Course

Indian Pines Golf Course will receive $50,000 in emergency funding from the City of Auburn.

The Auburn City Council unanimously voted to approve the funding requested by the golf course at the City Council meeting Tuesday, March 3.

Indian Pines Golf Course is jointly owned by both Opelika and Auburn through the Indian Pines Recreational Authority, Inc.

Lee Dempsey, board member of Indian Pines Recreational Authority, said in a letter sent to Auburn Mayor Bill Ham and Opelika Mayor Gary Fuller the golf course experienced a 15 percent drop in revenue in 2014 that had left it with a deficit of $73,000 for the 2014 fiscal year.

Dempsey also said in the letter the golf course only had approximately $5,000 in cash available, but was facing $25,000 worth of outstanding payments.

“(Indian Pines Recreational Authority) believes that this appropriation will help them get through the winter months, which are the most difficult,” said Charlie Duggan, Auburn city manager.

Duggan said the Recreational Authority plans to save up enough money during the busier spring and summer months to make it through next winter.

“I’ve spoken with their [financial] auditor, and he thinks that plan will work,” Duggan said. “As far their historical cost, I think they have their work cut out for them, simply because the golf industry nationwide has been taking a hit.”

Duggan said the Recreational Authority wants to bring back University golf classes at the course.

“There is, without question, a lot more competition in the golf world,” Ham said. “I think it’s pretty fair to say that golf rounds have been down over the past years.”

Ham said he urged the council to vote for the funding to keep the facility open for the community.

The Recreational Authority also asked the Opelika City Council for an additional $50,000, which if passed would give the golf course $100,00 total in emergency funding.

Other items before the council:

• Approved a resolution for Trash Amnesty Week on May 11-15. Residents will be allowed to put out large trash piles and the city will remove them for free, a service that normally costs extra.
  • Approved a contract for new firefighter turnout gear with North America Fire Equipment Company for $26,254.50.
  • Approved a commendation for University SGA representative to the city Marley McEachern.

Share and discuss “Council approves emergency funding for Indian Pines Golf Course” on social media.