Muschamp expects defense to take advantage of opportunity in spring practice

Expected to clean up an Auburn defense that hasn’t finished in the top half of the SEC since 2007, defensive coordinator Will Muschamp said he needs to know the players he can count on and the one’s that will be able to make adjustments come game time.

The players that can’t do those two things are going to be replaced with someone who can, Muschamp said.

“I told them all I am going to guarantee is an opportunity,” Muschamp said. “It’s their job to come in and take advantage of the opportunity.”

Muschamp said he has never promised a person playing time on any of his teams. The veteran coach doesn’t plan on starting now.

“That’s his job,” Muschamp said. “He’s got to come in and earn the respect of his teammates and earn the right to play.”

Not even Byron Cowart, the No. 1 player in the country according to both ESPN and Rivals.com, will get that from the defensive coach.

“Byron is a good football player, and if he continues to work the way he needs to work, I really think he can help us,” Muschamp said. “How much will be up to him. We’re going to play the best guys. If they’re the best at their position then they will start. If they’re good enough then they will contribute.”

Tray Matthews, who sat out last year after being dismissed by Georgia coach Mark Richt because of a classroom incident, will have to prove to he is someone Muschamp can count on and that he has grown from his mistakes.

“I’ve been pleased with his maturity level,” Muschamp said. “You get humbled by some experiences you go through in life, and he has. Hats off to coach Malzahn, Jay Jacobs and Auburn University for giving him another opportunity.”

Other than character, Muschamp wants his players to be interchangeable and able to make adjustments on the fly.

“We’re going to get into a game where somebody is going to do something totally different that we haven’t prepared for,” Muschamp said. “It’s a great compliment to your defense because they don’t think they can beat you doing your normal stuff. If a player can’t make adjustments in the game that’s going to hurt his playing time.”

Muschamp is cross training players, such as four-star recruit Tim Irvin, so they will be able to make those adjustments.

“(Irvin) does a nice job in the nickel role,” Muschamp said. “He’s got a really good feel in the slot. We also play him at safety. He does a nice job in the deep part of the field. He’s got some really good instincts as far as reception area and running the alley and those sort of things.”

The veterans such as Carl Lawson, who is doing about half the full-period drills in practice, Trey Williams and Justin Garrett are held to the same expectations, according to Muschamp.

Share and discuss “Muschamp expects defense to take advantage of opportunity in spring practice” on social media.