New officers announce goals at first SGA meeting

The first meeting of the 2015-16 SGA took place Monday, March 2.

The meeting began with the new executive officers announcing their goals and qualifications.

Because this was the first meeting, there was no old, new or future orders of business.

Walker Byrd, previously a senator-at-large, officially served his first week as president.

“We were trying to get everyone acclimated to their new roles and trying to get them to understand what’s going to happen on the floor and just everything that the senate does,” Byrd said. “The first meetings are always introductory meetings.”

Although nothing was brought to the floor this week, Byrd said he anticipates new orders of business to come by next week.

“Next week there will be a lot of appointments that come as future orders of business that will be presented for the first time, and then the next week they’ll come back for a vote,” Byrd said.

At the end of the meeting, two candidates running for president pro tempore presented their speeches regarding their qualifications and why they would serve well in this position. The members of SGA submitted their votes and took their senate test while waiting for the results of the new president pro tempore.

The results showed Brandon Honeywell, a senator from the College of Science and Mathematics and junior in biomedical science, would be 2015-16 president pro tempore.

During his speech, Honeywell said he is prepared to take on the responsibilities of president pro tempore.

“This will be my third year as senator and I would consider myself the most experienced senator in the room,” Honeywell said.

Honeywell also discussed his plans as president pro tempore for the upcoming year.

“As president pro temp I would like for the senate to lay emotions aside,” Honeywell said. “I would also like to encourage discussion from both sides so everyone can have an informed opinion on the bill or resolution being discussed on the floor.” 

Share and discuss “New officers announce goals at first SGA meeting” on social media.