Softball run-rules Samford to close out weekend

The winning continued for Auburn softball at Jane B. Moore field Sunday, March 1.

The Tigers (22-1) put the Bulldogs away in five innings, winning 13-0 to secure the program’s best 22-game start to a season in team history.

Auburn got hot early, sending a total number of 14 batters to the plate in the first inning on their way to plating nine runs, two of them coming off a Jade Rhodes homer over the left field fence.

With the bases loaded in the second inning, Tiffany Howard and Emily Carosone walked back-to-back, bringing the score to 11-0. Courtney Shea drove in two more in the third with a double to left field to extend the Tiger lead to 13.

Rachael Walters was the winning pitcher on the day, going all five innings and only allowing four hits while striking out five and issuing no walks. The win pushes Walters’ record to 7-0 on the year.

Next on the schedule for the Tigers is a trip to Fullerton, Calif., for matchups with Long Beach State, Pacific, Arizona, Cal State Fullerton and Arizona State next weekend.

After that, the Tigers will return home March 11 to face Troy before heading to Oxford to begin SEC play against Ole Miss. 

Share and discuss “Softball run-rules Samford to close out weekend” on social media.