Women's basketball wins SEC Tournament opener

Women's Basketball

Following their 80-73 win over Alabama on Sunday, Terri-Williams Flournoy told the media that her girls had no intention of slowing down after winning three straight games to end the season.

The Tigers backed that statement up Wednesday night by dominating the Florida Gators 71-49 to win their fourth straight and advance to the SEC Tournament’s second round.

Now with their 13-game losing streak a distant memory, no team in the SEC wants Auburn on their side of the bracket as the Tigers (13-17, 3-13 SEC) now find themselves on their longest winning streak against SEC opponents since 2009.

Brandy Montgomery’s hot streak continued as the sophomore scored 22 points on 7-of-15 shooting. Senior Tra’Cee Tanner also had a big game for Auburn with 19 and eight rebounds to go along with three steals.

Katie Frerking contributed seven points, five rebounds and five assists. The Jones twins had six points each.

Auburn never trailed in this game and muscled the Gators 24-14 on the glass during the first half en route to a 32-18 half time lead. The defense held Florida to 31.7 percent shooting for the game as the Gators had no answer for the Tigers this time around.

It’s survive-and-advance now for Auburn, whose next opponent will be a Texas A&M team who handed the Tigers a 78-45 loss on Feb. 1 in College Station.

The second-round game is set to begin at 2:30 p.m. tomorrow pending weather and can be seen on SEC Network.

Share and discuss “Women's basketball wins SEC Tournament opener” on social media.