Board of Trustees approves tuition increase

The Auburn University Board of Trustees approved a 2.5 percent tuition increase that will begin in fall 2015.

Tuition for fall 2014 and spring 2015 was $5,100 for in-state students and $13,692 for out-of-state students.

The increase will raise in-state tuition to $5,212 and out-of-state-tuition to $14,020.

Auburn University Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Donald Large presented the proposal to the Board.

“2.5 percent is the amount that we calculated that we think will produce right at $7 million,” Large said. “That would allow us to cover our mandatory cost increases.”

Other institutions have also recently announced tuition changes. The University of Georgia announced its tuition would increase by 9 percent on Tuesday, April 14.

The increase could’ve been higher, according to Large.

“This is the minimalist approach,” Large said. “Could we have moved it up to 3 percent or 3.5 percent? Yes, we could. But we’re trying to be sensitive to the students and their concerns as well.”

Walker Byrd, SGA president, said he does not support the increase. However, he understands the need for it.

“Auburn needs to be competitive with other institutions,” Byrd said. “While we don’t support it, we do understand it.”

The Board also approved a 3 percent tuition increase for Auburn University at Montgomery.

In other Board of Trustees news:

The Board approved repairs and renovations for Cater Hall and the President’s House.

The Board approved project architects for the women’s volleyball team space, the Broun Hall renovation, the new Academic Classroom Laboratory Complex and the School of nursing facility.

The Board approved construction management companies for the Broun Hall renovation, the new academic complex and the School of nursing facility.

Share and discuss “Board of Trustees approves tuition increase” on social media.