Coleman looking to elevate play

<p>Offensive linemen, Patrick Miller and Shon Coleman at Fan Day 2013. (File photo)</p>

Offensive linemen, Patrick Miller and Shon Coleman at Fan Day 2013. (File photo)

It’s been a long ride for Shon Coleman.

After being diagnosed with leukemia in the spring of 2010, Coleman was cleared for contact by doctors at the end of spring practice in 2012, but was redshirted that fall.

The next year, Coleman served as a backup to eventual second-overall draft pick Greg Robinson and saw his first college action against Arkansas State.

Finally, Coleman got his shot, and took over a starting position.

Now with a year of starts under his belt, Coleman is looking to take his play to the next level.

“I’m taking a whole new approach,” Coleman said. “I’ve been working before spring practice, and I plan on working this summer on things that I can get better at.”

After watching film, Coleman said he’s been able to pinpoint some of the things he needs to work on to elevate his game.

“Mainly footwork,” Coleman said. “Some of it is just experience. Last year was my first year, so I’m getting adjusted to the speed of the game and just being more physical than last year.”

Coleman and Robinson had similar paths at Auburn.

Robinson was redshirted in his first year on the Plains, played decently his second year, then shot to superstardom in his final year.

Coleman said he’s hoping to do the same.

“I talk to Greg about that sometimes,” Coleman said. “He had first year, then he did his thing the second year, so, obviously, I’m trying to follow the same footsteps. This year, I’m just trying to go out there and just let it all go.”

Teammate and fellow offensive lineman Alex Kozan said fans should be prepared to see Coleman’s best come fall 2015.

“Shon has had a full season to get under his belt,” Kozan said. “I think you’re going to see some special things from him this fall.” 

Share and discuss “Coleman looking to elevate play ” on social media.