LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Students cannot afford to ignore state funding for higher education

When discussing the need for greater funding for higher education, it is important not to simply say that we need more money. It is important not to complain amongst ourselves about how expensive tuition is. It is important not to simply blame Auburn administration, the Board of Trustees or even the state legislature for the current financial situation that the University finds itself in. It is important to hold them accountable, though, and to ask questions.

If you want to ask an administrator questions, that can be accomplished through emailing them, using Auburn Answers or by contacting your SGA Senator. If you want to ask your trustee a question, you can email them, as well. If you would like to ask members of the state legislature questions about their policies and decisions, you can call, email and visit them at the State House in Montgomery. SGA already has a committee dedicated to lobbying state officials on behalf of students, but, the more contact that our leaders have with students, the more they will represent our interests.
This is the pivotal part: We cannot complain about the current state of affairs if we do not keep our leaders aware of our interests. That was the purpose of Higher Education Day, last week; a day when 2,000 college students from across the state traveled to Montgomery to rally for greater higher education funding. One day should not be the end of the story, though. If you believe that the state government should devote greater resources to higher education, then voice that opinion. Email, call or tweet at state legislatures and let them know how you feel, and stay informed of their opinions. Ask them about the details involved with the complicated process of creating a multi-million dollar budget, so that when the decisions are made, everyone can be educated about the result.
The editorial staff had it right when they said that “Auburn students must continue to draw the government’s attention to increased funding for higher education.” Auburn students cannot afford to ignore the issue of state funding, and we need to show our state senators and representatives that they cannot afford to ignore college students.

-Michael Bullington
SGA Assistant Vice President of External Affairs, senior in supply chain management

Share and discuss “LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Students cannot afford to ignore state funding for higher education” on social media.