Moncrief mans SAM position, Lawson gets full-contact work

<p>Carl Lawson playing against Tennessee on Saturday. (FILE PHOTO)</p>

Carl Lawson playing against Tennessee on Saturday. (FILE PHOTO)

Auburn’s defense had a big interception that it returned for a touchdown in its second-week scrimmage on Saturday, April 11, coach Gus Malzahn said.

While the defense appears to be making the right strides for improvement from last season’s performances, it’s still trying to man a few spots.

One of those spots is the SAM, a position that requires the third linebacker to play in open space and on the end of the line. The position comes off the field when Will Muschamp’s defense uses five defensive backs.

While the SAM position is still up in air, coverted safety Derrick Moncrief, is practicing in the spot and thinks he fits the role quite well.

“I really have an advantage because the receivers can’t block me,” Moncrief said. “I’m really physical and I can cover. It’s a full-time job now instead of playing safety all the time.”

The Tigers have tried out inside linebackers Justin Garrett and Cameron Toney at the SAM this spring, but coaches have not confirmed if they have found the right fit yet.

Another key to the success of Auburn’s pass rush next season will be how healthy Carl Lawson, who missed all of last season after undergoing knee surgery, can stay.

The 6-foot-2, 261-pound defensive end has been getting full-contact work in spring practices and participated in everything, but the 11-on-11 scrimmage Saturday morning, according to Malzahn.

“They did all the stuff, but the actual scrimmage,” Malzahn said. “They got most the reps in the third down. They got most the reps in the two minute situations on both sides.”

Share and discuss “Moncrief mans SAM position, Lawson gets full-contact work” on social media.