OPINION: Three defenders poised to break out

<p>Defensive back Tray Matthews signs a poster. (File photo)</p>

Defensive back Tray Matthews signs a poster. (File photo)

While the Auburn offense will consist of mostly new faces in 2015, the defense will return many experienced players who saw playing time last year.

But even with seven starters returning, defensive coordinator Will Muschamp’s new scheme should allow some younger players to show what they can do.

The defense features some proven veterans, such as defensive back Jonathan Jones and linebacker Kris Frost, but will need to find others who can make an impact in Muschamp’s new system.

Here are three players who could break out you need to watch during A-Day:

Tray Matthews, safety

There is no doubt Auburn needs to improve the secondary if it wants to have any chance of competing for the SEC Championship in 2015, and Matthews, under Muschamp, could do exactly that.

The 6-foot-1, 203-pound safety transferred from Georgia last offseason after his dismissal from the program for his role in a check-cashing scheme, and he had to sit out last season while the Auburn defense struggled to get opponents off the field.

With his eligibility back, Matthews has made a splash in spring practice as one of Auburn’s best defensive players, as well as one of Auburn’s hardest hitters.

Tre Williams, linebacker

Stuck behind fellow linebackers Cassanova McKinzy and Kris Frost in Ellis Johnson’s two-linebacker scheme, the former five-star from Mobile played mainly on special teams last season.

Even with McKinzy and Frost returning, Muschamp’s four-linebacker scheme will allow Williams to join those two on the field at times, though all three are listed at inside linebacker.

Like Matthews, Williams is touted as one of Auburn’s hardest hitters, and now that the 6-foot-2, 238-pound defender has adjusted to the college game, look for him to challenge Frost and McKinzy.

Even if he doesn’t surpass the veterans, improved competition could push the starters ahead of him.

Dontavius Russell, defensive tackle

After flipping from Georgia to Auburn late in the recruiting process, Russell was talented enough to play as a freshman last season, but the coaches decided to redshirt him with four seniors at tackle.

Now, the 6-foot-3, 295-pound sophomore is poised to fill the shoes of last year’s large senior class. Russell has continued his outstanding practice play, and there have been talks of him becoming the most-consistent tackle this spring. If he can take his practice play with him to the field on Saturdays in the fall, Russell will keep Montravius Adams and Carl Lawson from seeing too many double teams.

Andrew Monson is a sports writer for The Plainsman. He can be contacted at sports@ThePlainsman.com.

Share and discuss “OPINION: Three defenders poised to break out” on social media.