Relay for Life event sets fundraising record

Relay for Life hosted a record-breaking fundraising event Tuesday, April 25 at Auburn University. They raised $71,768.15 in donations.

Sixty six teams participated in the fundraising contest themed “Lights, camera, relay,” according to Drake Pooley, SGA Director of Academic Affairs and senior in marketing.

“Each team picked a movie to theme their tent around and they also held an onsite fundraiser at their tent,” Pooley said.

The top fundraising team was Beta Alpha Psi, who raised $11,132.18.

Carol Linde, senior in political science and psychology, was a member of the Auburn University Honor’s Congress fundraising team.

Linde said she feels the support for Relay for Life encourages fundraising.

“It’s part of the community at Auburn for people to come out and support things like this and we are glad to be a part of that and get visibility for our organization,” Linde said.

Eva Mavrakos, sophomore in finance and HBO campus representative, said her organization showed its support through donation.

“We came out to show our support for Relay for Life and show support,” Mavrakos said.

The afternoon of games was interrupted by rain at approximately 3:30 p.m.

The event was postponed until 5:30 p.m. when the Mister Relay competition was held followed by the Survivors Ceremony at 6 p.m., which featured 35 cancer survivors.

The event closed with a luminaire ceremony honoring those who have battled cancer from 10 p.m. until midnight.

Share and discuss “Relay for Life event sets fundraising record” on social media.