Russell full of hustle, competes for defensive tackle

Last year’s Auburn team struggled to get to the quarterback.

The leader in sacks among defensive linemen, DeVonte Lambert, is gone along with Gabe Wright and Angelo Blackson.

Redshirt freshman defensive lineman Dontavius Russell will look to make those players’ departures the opportunity he’s waited a year for a shot at.

“Last year was difficult because I felt like I had the ability to play,” Russell said. “My coach even told me that I did, but the situation that came up, and, with his better judgment, he decided that it was a better idea for me to go ahead and redshirt.”

Russell was ranked as a top-15 defensive tackle coming out of high school by 247sports, ESPN and Rivals.

Russell is expected to be competing for the defensive tackle spot opposite of junior Montravius Adams. Russell said he learned about strong work ethic from the older players, such as Adams.

“I just really picked up that I need to work harder,” Russell said. “As far as coming from high school to college, I’ve picked up that I need to work a lot harder. The players that I thought were amazing players get beat sometimes, and just to see that makes me know how much I have to work to be able to excel and do as good as I can.”

Russell said his chances of starting are basically up to him and what he puts forth.

“I feel like if I don’t mess up, my coach is going to put the best player out there,”Russell said. “And if I’m the best player, then I’ll be the starter.”

Russell has been putting in work in the weight room, as he said he’s up to 295 pounds from the 280 pounds he arrived with.

The Tigers will continue to evaluate Russell through the spring.

But with the exodus of former Auburn defensive linemen, now is as good a time as any for Russell to make a name for himself.

Share and discuss “Russell full of hustle, competes for defensive tackle” on social media.