Auburn track and field shines in Starkville

Auburn track and field concluded competition at the SEC Championships in Starkville, Mississippi, this weekend.

Junior Shawn Johnson earned 13 points with a tie for second in the high jump and third place finish in the triple jump on Saturday, May 16.

Johnson cleared 6-10.25/2.09 meters in the high jump for seven points and earned six points in the triple jump with a distance of 53-0.75/16.17m.

The men’s team finished 10th with 40 points and the women’s team placed 10th with 28 points.

“Shawn (Johnson) did a fantastic job today coming up big in two events,” coach Ralph Spry said. “It started raining during the high jump, but he was able to keep his head and tie for second. I am really proud of him."

Torrey Campbell, Kahlil Henderson, Joe Fisher and Teray Smith composed the men’s 4x100 relay team and clocked a season-best time of 39.82 to finish eighth and earn one point.

Senior Kane Grimster placed sixth for three points in the 1500m at 3:46.41 and senior Ty McCormack added three points with a sixth place finish in the 5000m at 14:13.21.

"Ty (McCormack) stuck in there and grinded it out in the 5000m," Spry said. "The 200m guys ran really well out of lane one and two. The kids that we put out there really did well. I am excited because they are all young. We will be good down the stretch, and we still have a good chance to send a lot of people to the National Championships. This is never an easy meet, but we have to reload and keep on moving.”

Smith and Henderson earned five points in the men’s 200m after finishing sixth at 20.84 and seventh at 20.86, respectively.

Samantha Scarlett, Jonielle Smith, Ebony Morrison and Sashel Brown finished seventh in the women’s 4x100 relay for two points with a time of 44.88. Scarlett earned one point in the 100m hurdle final, finishing eighth at 13.35.

Brown clocked a personal best time of 58.34 in the 400m hurdle final to finish fifth. Junior Rachel Dincoff placed fourth in the shot put with a throw of 52-9.5/16.09m.

The Tigers will return to action May 28-30 for the NCAA East Preliminaries at the University of North Florida in Jacksonville, Florida.

Share and discuss “Auburn track and field shines in Starkville” on social media.