Editorial: Construction: a necessary annoyance

It’s no secret getting around downtown Auburn is hectic this summer. 

The intersection of College Street and Magnolia Avenue, also known as Toomer’s Corner, closed down May 11 for the summer. 

Construction includes raising the intersection to sidewalk level, adding trees and seating along the sidewalks, installing decorative light poles and putting a permanent tiger paw in the middle of the intersection, according to the City of Auburn’s website.

Utilities, such as sewer and water will be updated, meaning workers have to dig two feet underground. 

According to City Manager Charlie Duggan, the corner will be blocked off until early August. 

Duggan said the plan to shut down Toomer’s Corner was picked strategically to start after graduation but end before football season.

He said spreading it out would only be more disruptive over time, and breaking the construction down into segments would not have made navigation around downtown any easier. 

This is an ongoing project, as landscaping will go into late fall and early winter. 

The amount of construction going on downtown has made navigating irritating to say the least.

The walkways are so thin they quickly become packed and almost unmanageable on nights where there is heavy bar traffic, and driving anywhere in the heart of Auburn now takes at least a few minutes longer because of all the detours and changes in people’s driving habits they’re not used to.

It’s hectic, but it’s necessary.

Duggan said it would have been nearly impossible to leave open walkways to ease the congestion of the intersection, but the final product will be worth it.

Not only will the water and sewer lines be updated, but the overall aesthetic beauty of Auburn’s beloved corner will be improved. 

He said he believes people will be pleased with the changes and said it’s something Auburn University should be proud of. 

While it may be irritating for us to travel downtown now, the efforts will not go to waste.

Auburn has been consistently named one of the best cities to live in the state by magazines such as Southern Living, and it’s largely because of the beautification efforts put forth by the city. 

By constantly changing, our city is constantly improving and embodying the phrase, “The Loveliest Village on the Plains.” 

The momentary lapse in downtown travel and barhopping convenience is well worth the wait.

Share and discuss “Editorial: Construction: a necessary annoyance” on social media.