Editorial: We should get what we pay for

The Glomerata is the official yearbook for Auburn University.

Many students patiently wait for that time of the year when the 400-page yearbook is ready to be distributed.

The Glom has been a long-standing tradition at Auburn since 1897, according to their website.

The yearbook highlights different aspects of what it means to be an Auburn student – campus life, athletics, academics and organizations.

This year the theme of the Glomerata was Auburn University: classic, timeless, according to former Editor-in-Chief Stephen Caton.

Caton said the Glomerata staff wanted to keep up with the times but also stay true to Auburn tradition.

This year the Glomerata increased its page count and had a watercolor cover reflecting the 100th anniversary of Katharine Cooper Cater Hall.

Caton said he was pleased with the final product.

The Glom produced 7,500 copies and distributed them all in two days.

In comparison to previous years, Caton said it was the fastest year to distribute, with the process usually taking three to four days.

The yearbooks are handed out on the concourse. The Glom is available to Auburn students, faculty and staff.

The cost of the Glomerata is included in students’ tuition.

Students receive their yearbook by showing their TigerCard.

Caton said this is technically still the process for obtaining a Glomerata.

However, some students said they did not have to show their TigerCard to get their Glom.

We understand with a large amount of people lining up to get their Glom, there might have been gaps in the process.

The Glomerata was distributed the week of April 20-24. 

The staff started distributing the copies designated for regular students Tuesday and by lunchtime Thursday, they handed out all of the 7,500 copies, according to Caton.

Caton said there are extra copies of the Glom, but they are reserved for spring co-op students in the College of Engineering.

These copies are strictly for co-op students, according to Caton.

We support the Glom and the passionate students who work to keep the tradition alive.

We realize it is great the staff was able to distribute the copies quickly, but some students did not receive their Glom at all.

Some of these students were seniors and may never have a copy of their final yearbook.

The University of Alabama discontinued their yearbook, The Corolla, last year, according to Caton.

The Digital Corolla Initiative provides a collaboration of the yearbook pages that can be viewed online, according to the University of Alabama’s website.

The Glomerata is a well-established publication with 118 years of tradition.

We do not want our yearbook to discontinue. It is great students want the Glom.

We ask that next year the process be monitored closely so everyone who has paid for a Glom in his or her tuition will receive one.

We feel the current first-come-first-serve system is unfair when each student pre-pays for a yearbook via the cost of attending Auburn. Just like all students can use the rec center, all students deserve the opportunity to have a copy of the Glom.

This editorial was changed Thursday, May 21, at 7:32 p.m. to correct an error about the dates of distribution for the Glomerata. 

Share and discuss “Editorial: We should get what we pay for” on social media.