First two early-season football game times announced

<p>Jeremy Johnson celebrates with students after winning the SEC title. (Raye May | Managing Editor) </p>

Jeremy Johnson celebrates with students after winning the SEC title. (Raye May | Managing Editor) 

Auburn football can now begin to count down not only the number of days until the beginning of its season, but the hours and minutes as well.

The SEC announced Thursday morning, May 28, that CBS will broadcast Auburn’s season opener on Sept. 5, against the Louisville Cardinals. The contest, which will be the eighth annual installment of the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game in Atlanta, is set to kick off at 2:30 p.m. 

This game will be the first CBS airs in the 2015 football season.

Both teams will arrive at the Georgia Dome looking to start strong in 2015 after disappointing endings to their 2014 seasons.

Auburn lost four of its last five games to finish 8-5. Louisville, after posting a 9-3 regular season record, was defeated by Georgia in the Belk Bowl.

The matchup will be the second time Auburn and Louisville have met on the gridiron. Auburn defeated Louisville 16-3 in 1974.

Two weeks later, Auburn will play LSU on Sept. 19 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Kickoff time for that game will be the same, at 2:30 p.m. 

Last season, Auburn defeated LSU in Jordan-Hare Stadium 41-7, but the last game played between the Tigers during the day in November 2011 was the opposite. LSU defeated then-No. 19 Auburn 45-10. 

Share and discuss “First two early-season football game times announced” on social media.