Former Auburn student performs in second annual Sundilla Acoustic Concert Series

Former Auburn student Rock Killough returned to his "musical home" Friday, May 29, to perform in the second annual Sundilla Acoustic Concert Series.

"Got a group of guys from L.A., but around here, L.A. means Lower Alabama," said Will Blevins when he introduced the band.

Rock Killough and Friends performed under a tent as night fell behind The Market at Blooming Colors. The band, which is also made up of Darrel Roberts and John Joiner, performed a mixture of slow ballads and upbeat folk that got the audience whistling, laughing and clapping along.

Killough said he didn't start playing music much until he came to Auburn, and started playing at the War Eagle Supper Club in 1965.

He said he made his first album while he was a student.

"When I was in college, there was a bunch of people, bunch of record people from Atlanta come over here and run a talent contest," Killough said. "It was in the old ag building ... they held a talent contest in there and we won it, my group and I. We were called The Village Travelers ... I still got an album. That's what we won, a free album."

Killough said a popular artist to cover at the time was Bob Dylan.

Killough said he never graduated Auburn, but dabbled in various subjects including journalism, English, physics and chemistry. He said he stopped attending Auburn when he got to be older than some professors.

Concert attendee Emily Glass said she has been a fan of Killough's for a long time, and was happy to see him perform.

"The thing I love the most are these stories he tells," Glass said. "Behind every one of these songs, there's a story, and he will sit up here and he will share the stories with the audience, that is my favorite part of the performance."

Glass said she wished more people had come, but said she was pleased with the performance itself.

Killough said he appreciated the Sundilla series.

"I want to say how wonderful the Sundilla series is because you give people like me a chance," Killough said.

Share and discuss “Former Auburn student performs in second annual Sundilla Acoustic Concert Series” on social media.