The Rec center finds a new way to encourage women

Entering into any sport can be difficult. It can be especially hard for women if they feel they have to compete against men.

The rock wall at the Recreation and Wellness Center is a popular feature. Since it’s construction in 2013, it has attracted numerous visitors, mostly males.

Rachel Hinlo, senior in biomedical sciences and employee at the wellness center, created Ladies’ Night on Tuesdays to make female climbers feel more comfortable.

“I came up with the idea because I’ve seen a lack of women in the outdoor community and you can really see that at the climbing wall,” Hinlo said. “I just wanted to offer an environment where ladies could climb and not have a bunch of guys grunting and sweating around them.”

Kathryn Frazier, senior in exercise science and another employee at the rock wall said she noticed how the overwhelming amount of men climbing seemed to discourage many females.

“A lot of times climbing is a hard sport to break into, especially for women,” Frazier said. “And the guys can put too much pressure on girls.”

The recreation center began Ladies’ Night night two years ago when Hinlo proposed the idea. It began as a monthly endeavor and has since transformed to once a week.

“The first one was really successful,” Hinlo said. “We had 30 or 40 girls show up within the two hours, and now we have 10-15.”

Gabrielle Gilmer, sophomore in mechanical engineering has attended Ladies’ Night since the beginning of spring semester. Gilmer said she thoroughly enjoys the opportunity to improve her skills.

“When you go during normal hours there’s an overwhelming majority of guys climbing,” Gilmer said. “It can be intimidating.”

Since attending Ladies’ Night, Gilmer said she has set and reached her own goals and learned more about rock climbing.

The walls are divided into levels with V-0 being the easiest, and V-3 the hardest. There is also a cake wall that is supposed to be for beginners.

“At the beginning of the semester I couldn’t even make it to the top of the cake wall,” Gilmer said. “Now I can flash a V-1 pretty consistently.”

Flashing is a term used in rock climbing when a climber completes a level on their first try.

Frazier said she believes rock climbing is an accepting sport, even with the intimidation factor of the athletic males who climb.

“Everyone at the rock wall is generally really positive,” Frazier said. “It’s not like in most sports when the people who are better look down on the beginners.”

Hinlo said despite the decrease in females present on Ladies’ Night, she still hopes to continue the tradition in years to come.

“I hope we will still offer it,” Hinlo said. “I like seeing people meet other people through a common interest that they have.”

Depending on the new decision, Ladies’ Night at the rock wall may return to being offered only once a month. 

Share and discuss “The Rec center finds a new way to encourage women ” on social media.