Tigers scratch the Wildcats, advance in SEC Tournament

Auburn baseball stepped up to the plate Tuesday, May 19, in its first SEC Tournament game since 2013, walking away victors 6-3 after facing the Kentucky Wildcats.

Redshirt sophomore Cole Lipscomb had a quality start and successful day on the mound through 7 and two-thirds innings, recording nine strikeouts and a 2.38 ERA, allowing only four hits and two earned runs in 107 pitches.

Auburn led the contest 1-0 throughout the third thanks to an RBI single from first baseman Daniel Robert.

Jackson Burgreen contributed to the lead in the top of the fourth with a triple into the corner of right field to score two, making it 3-0.

The Tigers struck again in the sixth with a sac fly by Melvin Gray and another RBI single from Robert to extend the lead 5-0.

A solo home run, a single and a base hit put Kentucky back in the contest 5-3 in the bottom of the eighth, but the Tigers responded in the top of the ninth.  Blake Logan started off the inning with a single followed by a bunt single by Kyler Deese, and a huge slash hit and RBI for Jordan Ebert then gave Auburn the 6-3 lead.

In the bottom of the ninth, Justin Camp, who relieved Lipscomb, got the leadoff hitter to fly out and the next batter to walk. That walk would prove to be useful, as catcher Greg Fettes grounded into a 3-6 double play, ending the ballgame.

Lipscomb was credited with the win and the game ball, both well-deserved.

The Tigers, now 35-22, will move on to face No.1 LSU Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. in Hoover Metropolitan Stadium.

Share and discuss “Tigers scratch the Wildcats, advance in SEC Tournament ” on social media.