​Tigers seal first win in Women's College World Series

For the fifth time this season, Auburn faced the Lady Volunteers of Tennessee, coming out on top in the game that matters most so far. The last time the two teams met, the Tigers left SEC Champions, but that title isn’t enough to get the Tigers a Women’s College World Series win like this game can.

Coming off a loss to LSU, the Tigers bounced back to stay in the running for their first World Series trophy.

In typical SEC competition, the game stayed scoreless for the first two innings because of a strong defensive battle on both sides, including the Tigers grabbing their 38th successfully executed double play. The record would extend to 39 later on in the game.

With runners on second and third in the top of the third inning, Carlee Wallace nailed a pitch all the way to the right field wall for a double to plate two for Auburn. It was then Jade Rhodes who popped one shallow into left field, but Tennessee’s Shaliyah Geathers dropped it to allow Wallace to cross home for Auburn’s fourth run.

With a solid lead, the Tigers were able to hold the Vols until the bottom of the fourth when Geathers doubled to left center to plate Rainey Gaffin from first base, but the score stayed in Auburn’s advantage.

Tennessee later grabbed another run when Lexi Davis loaded the bases for the Vols after base hits and a hit-by-pitch.

Rachael Walters took the mound to close and helped Auburn escape more Tennessee runs, leaving the loaded base runners stranded.

Walters would pitch to the last second, when she dished three strikeouts and one single in the seventh to seal the Tigers' first win of the WCWS.

The Tigers will advance to face UCLA later Saturday night, May 30, at 6 p.m.

Share and discuss “​Tigers seal first win in Women's College World Series” on social media.