Day in Clay opens ceramics studio to community

A cluster of people gathered around Mollie Jenkins, recent graduate in fine arts, as she formed lumps of brown clay into bowls. As she worked, she explained the process of creating the bowls with her foot-powered wheel.

Jenkins was one of the artists displaying their craft at the sixth annual Day in Clay at the Dean Road Ceramics Studio.

According to Cari Cleckler, art education specialist and director of the ceramics studio, the event is an open house for the studio.

"Basically Day in Clay is for us to promote the studio within the city," Cleckler said. "A lot of people don't know that we're here, and we have a lot of classes and a lot of fantastic work and a chance for independent membership."

Cleckler said the studio is for both amateur and professional potters, and there is a diverse community at the studio, from residents to Auburn students and professors.

"It's a real community spirit," Cleckler said. "We have great diversity within our studio, and I'm amazed at the support we get from the city and from our own members."

Maria Auad, associate professor in polymer and fiber engineering, was painting some of her work at Day in Clay and had some of her work on display. She said the studio had a friendly environment.

"I think this is nice for the whole community, because also my daughter is here, and I think it's like a family activity," Auad said. 

Auad said there are classes at the studio for people of all ages and skill levels, as well as open studio time, where experienced potters can come to work on their hobby.

"This is pretty much the mission of the place, just to be open to the community," Auad said.

Auad was painting bowls for the Empty Bowls event that occurs every spring, while Jenkins was making bowls for Empty Bowls across the room.

Jenkins said she hopes Day in Clay also promotes the Empty Bowls event, which raises awareness about hunger in the community.

"I love doing this, and if there's any way I can help someone else out while doing it, then its a two-for-one," Jenkins said.

Along with demonstrations, there were also workshops for adults and children. 

The children were making pockets to hold trinkets called Secret-Keeper Pockets, according to Amy Kaiser, studio tech who was teaching the children's class.

Kaiser said the children learned about where clay comes from, as well as how to form it and make designs on it.

"One child said she would put her seashells in [the pocket]," Kaiser said. "Another has a collection of rocks. I suggested love letters, and they rolled their eyes."

On the adult side, people were making herb planters, according to Lane Gower, junior in art and ceramics intern at the ceramics studio.

Jennifer Pifer, Auburn resident, brought her son, David Pifer and his friends, Ahnaf Hossain and Adil Merchant, to Day in Clay to entertain them during the summer. 

"I think kids should be exposed to a lot of different things, whether they're going to do it in their lives, or they just need to know about it," Pifer said.

Cleckler said the event had "a great response," though they couldn't have all the people they wanted because of space and tool constraints. She said Day in Clay draws in most of the studio's new students.

"It's that hands-on that gets people really interested," Cleckler said. "Once you touch clay, you always come back to it, because it's a lot of fun."

Share and discuss “Day in Clay opens ceramics studio to community” on social media.