Organizers preview Barbasol Championship

Local leaders and PGA Tour officials met with the media on Friday, June 26, to discuss next month’s Barbasol Championship, which will be held at Grand National Golf Course in Opelika.

Gary Fuller, the mayor of Opelika said he was looking forward to the event and its impact on communities.

“This kind of facility is not a stranger to big events. This is a very important event for Auburn and Opelika. It is going to be an exciting week for our communities and for the state of Alabama, so we’re looking forward to it,” Fuller said.

The tournament, which will be held July 16-19, will feature major winners such as Lucas Glover, Lee Janzen, David Toms and Mike Weir, along with some of the nation’s top amateur golfers.

Tournament Director Jonathan Romeo said the tournament will bring positive economic impact to the area.

“You’re going to have 132 golfers, 132 caddies, PGA Tour staff, and the Golf Channel that all become residents of Lee County for a seven-to-14 day window,” Romeo said. “They’re going to stay in hotels, they’re going to eat and they’re going to shop. Those things all equate to an economic impact of more than $25 million.”

Romeo also said the event will bring more attention to Auburn and Opelika.

“This is the first time that a regular stop on the PGA Tour has ever been in the state of Alabama,” Romeo said. “Looking at the participation from ticket sales, I would guess we’re going to be somewhere more than 50,000 folks will attend. There are tickets being sold in the Birmingham metro area, a lot coming out of Atlanta, a lot out of Columbus, and of course the local area and Montgomery. It is a local event but it has a regional scope.”

Auburn Mayor Bill Ham said the event will bring exposure to the area.

“The recognition that will come to our communities will be extensive," Ham said.

Romeo said Auburn University’s Raptor Center will be involved with the Eagles and Birdies program at the event.

“You always have to do something more than just golf,” Romeo said. “We challenge ourselves to give it a local flavor on all the events we do. I don’t know how many raptor centers there are in the country, but I know this is one of the best. Tying all of that in gives more to it than just a golf story.”

Romeo said he expects the Auburn student body to be a huge part of the tournament’s success.

“When I was a student at Auburn, I wish they had a PGA Tour event,” Romeo said. “I’d be out here every day. We have a lot of students who are involved from a volunteer standpoint. I think having [students] come out as fans is a great way to enjoy the event. Students are going to be a huge piece. Not only as fans, but also helping us by volunteering.”

Daily tickets for the tournament are $20, with free tickets available to active and retired military.

The Golf Channel will provide live television coverage throughout the event.

Share and discuss “Organizers preview Barbasol Championship” on social media.