Auburn baseball alumnus sets MLB All-Star record

Donaldson up to bat. Home Run Derby at Auburn, AL on 11.21.14 (Emily Enfinger | Assistant Photo Editor)

This year marked the first time voting for the MLB All-Star game was done entirely online. A total of 620 million votes were cast, 14,090,188 of them for Toronto Blue Jays third baseman and Auburn baseball alumni Josh Donaldson. 

The 14 million votes are the highest ever for any player in voting history. Donaldson surpassed the previous record set in 2012 by Texas Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton by nearly 3 million votes.

Since his arrival north of the border after four seasons with the Oakland Athletics, Donaldson is on track for one of the best seasons in his career, posting a .296/.352/.527 line while leading all of major league baseball with 176 total bases. Donaldson is cruising toward a personal record eight wins above replacement.

The 29-year-old has 19 home runs on the season and incredible glove reliability. The 2015 MLB All-Star game will be held in Cincinnati, Ohio, on July 14, and will be televised nationally by FOX Sports with a 8:15 p.m. first pitch. Fans can catch Donaldson starting at third base for the American League and other professional favorites.

Pitchers and reserves will be selected at 7 p.m. on Monday, July 6, on ESPN. 

Share and discuss “Auburn baseball alumnus sets MLB All-Star record” on social media.