Auburn University partners with aviation companies, NASA

Officials from Auburn University and NASA signed a Space Act Agreement on Thursday, July 30.

The partnership will allow both parties to develop a cost-saving method of manufacturing in the form of additive manufacturing, or 3-D printing.

John Mason, Auburn University vice president for research and economic development, said the agreement is the beginning of a mutually beneficial relationship with NASA.

"Additive manufacturing is a major advancement for the future direction for the nation's industries," Mason said. "The partnership with NASA is an excellent opportunity to engage and leverage each other's capabilities and technical expertise."

The signing took place at the university's forum on additive manufacturing, which was co-sponsored by Auburn University and the city of Auburn Industrial Development Board.

The forum drew professionals from the private sector, academia and government officials.

Local representatives included Auburn University trustee Jimmy Sanford, President Jay Gogue and Auburn Mayor Bill Ham Jr.

Sanford and Ham introduced the morning's keynote speaker, Greg Morris, general manager of additive technology at GE Aviation.

Morris described the process of additive manufacturing, as well as the future of the industry.

GE Aviation has a 300,000-square-foot plant in Auburn that produces jet engines.

Ham said the impact the company has on the Auburn area cannot be overstated.

"We're very proud of our relationship with GE Aviation," Ham said. "Our collaborative efforts with GE are paramount."

The Space Act Agreement is designed to include students and faculty members in NASA missions and allow Auburn and NASA to share facilities and knowledge.

Patrick Scheuermann, director of NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, was NASA's representative at the event.

Mason said working with NASA and GE Aviation will give Auburn students and faculty opportunities that would not be possible with the university alone.

"We are establishing partnerships with highly innovative businesses and organizations to spur economic growth throughout the state and region," Mason said. "These relationships benefit students with learning experiences, while companies benefit from the practical, applied solutions developed through research conducted by faculty and students."

Share and discuss “Auburn University partners with aviation companies, NASA” on social media.