Former Tiger named WNBA All-Star

In her fourth year, DeWanna Bonner is in the top 10 in points, rebounds and minutes played per game. (Courtesy of Barry Gossage, NBAE/Getty Images)

The WMBA announced late Tuesday night that former Auburn women’s basketball player DeWanna Bonner was named to the the league's Western Conference All-Star Team.

Bonner, who plays for the Phoenix Mercury, will appear in the 2015 WNBA All-Star Game on Saturday, July 25, at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut, and will be televised by ABC at 2:30 p.m. CT.

In her seventh professional season, Bonner is an All-Star for the first time.

So far this season, she has averaged 16.9 points, 6.1 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 1.1 steals per game while starting all 16 contests. She is seventh in the league in scoring, fourth in minutes played (33.8/game) and ninth in assists, and she has scored in double-digits in every game so far this year.

Bonner is Auburn’s second WNBA All-Star, joining Ruthie Bolton-Holifield (1999, 2001). 

Four former SEC players earned selection to the 2015 All-Star team: Bonner, Seimone Augustus (LSU), Kelsey Bone (Texas A&M) and Tamika Catchings (Tennessee).

Bonner was the SEC Player of the Year and a first-team All-American in 2009, leading Auburn to the SEC regular-season title and an NCAA Tournament berth.

Share and discuss “Former Tiger named WNBA All-Star” on social media.