OPINION: There is more to volunteering than just boosting your resume

Volunteering is an extracurricular activity that many college students feel required to do in order to be competitive candidates for their professional schools or jobs after Auburn. I have volunteering with many different groups at Auburn and I have learned a lot from my experience.

Volunteering is work. It teaches you about time management and interacting with people from all walks of life. The volunteer program that has most impacted me is Project Uplift.

It is a program that pairs you up with an underprivileged child from the Auburn community. After you go through the training program you schedule a time to meet with your child’s family. Once you have met the family and decided on a day that works for all of you, you pick up your little brother or sister hang out with them for 3 hours a week. It is your job to be their mentor and friend.

My little brother, Vincent, has been one of the biggest blessings I have received at Auburn. When I first started hanging out with Vincent he had just turned 7.  I was so intimidated to meet his family, but as soon as I walked in he was sprinting around in a Spiderman costume telling me how excited he was. It seemed like a lot of responsibility to be a big sister to someone I had just met, but I am a more patient and accountable person because of it. 

Being a sister to Vincent has been so much fun. We love to run around the Auburn parks or kick the soccer ball at the intermural fields. I help him with his homework and try to emphasize that if he works hard in school he can be whatever he wants when he grows up. Though our time together is mostly laughs, there have been some hard conversations as well. For example, he told me he was bullied at school and he has had to deal with the loss of a family member. I try to help him work through his problems and let him know I am always here for him. I like to think I have taught Vincent a lot, but he has taught me more than I could ever teach him.

Volunteering with Project Uplift has taught me all of the qualities I have mentioned above, but more importantly I have gained a family member. I will never forget when he asked me to come eat lunch with him at school for grandparent’s day. I asked him if I was allowed to come and he said, “Yes all of my family is invited!”

I would urge everyone at Auburn to volunteer not just for the resume boost, but for the life experience. 

Share and discuss “OPINION: There is more to volunteering than just boosting your resume” on social media.