New culinary camp offered by Youth Programs

Auburn Youth Programs started a new culinary camp hosted by chef Sydney of Atlanta and Auburn senior executive chef Emil Topel from July 5-10. 

Ken Porter, camp manager of the Auburn Youth Programs, started out as a camp counselor in 2010. 

Porter said 20 different camps were offered in the summer when he started, and, as of 2015, more than 65 camps are offered. 

He said he has seen tremendous progress in his six summers working with Auburn Programs. 

Porter commended Jeff Dyal, current camp director, and James Birdsong, former camp director, on their ability to expand the camps over the past few years and said Auburn University offers many different types of camps.

“They range anywhere from vet camps to aviation camps, to building construction camps, forestry camps, cyber security camps, creative writing camps, dance and cheer camps, plus many more,” Porter said. 

However, the new culinary camp, called Chef Tech Academy, has had a lot of success. 

Lesley Hill, sophomore in interior design and counselor for Chef Tech Academy, said she loved the new camp.

“After doing two entire summers worth of a variety of camps, Chef Tech Academy is my absolute favorite,” Hill said. “The campers are here for six days but learn very important practical skills. They get to take home the knowledge they’ve gained about cooking and use it in their daily lives.” 

Porter said the campers made a variety of things such as pizza, tacos, Asian cuisine, stuffed pork loin, Italian sautéed vegetables and gluten-free foods such as wraps and more. 

Despite all the food, Hill said the determination of the campers was her favorite part. 

“My favorite part of the camp was watching all of the campers reach past their limits,” Hill said. “A lot of times cooking is considered a woman’s job, but watching all of the boys take charge in the kitchen made me happy.”

Porter said the feedback from the camp was also great. 

“The kids and their parents loved it,” Porter said. “We want to continue to do this every summer and make it every week of the summer.”

Share and discuss “New culinary camp offered by Youth Programs” on social media.