Defensive backs unified on and off the field

Jonathan Ford intercepts the ball.

Emily Enfinger / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR
Jonathan Ford intercepts the ball. Emily Enfinger / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR

To say that Auburn struggled to defend the pass in 2014 would be an understatement, but with another year of experience for veterans mixed with new contributors, the secondary hopes to make huge strides in 2015.

The Tigers’ passing defense ranked 12th in the SEC last year, something that must change under new defensive coordinator Will Muschamp if Auburn is to live up to large expectations this season.

One thing the coaching staff and players think will bring improvement is having all of the secondary together under one coach.

For the past two seasons, cornerbacks and safeties have been classified as separate position groups and had different coaches and studied film in separate meeting rooms.

This season, corners and safeties will all be coached by Travaris Robinson, who lettered at Auburn in 1999-2002 and was on Muschamp’s defensive staff at Florida.

Members of the secondary have already noticed a sense of togetherness, both on and off the field, which was not always present when the position groups were separate.

Johnathan Ford, returning starter at safety, said the stronger relationships off the field have helped to improve the secondary on the field.

“It’s been great, we’ve all been sticking more together,” Ford said. “It’s [had] a great impact. So we both, safeties and corners, can be on the same page about any kind of checks.”

One of the more noticeable signs of unity is the players’ hairstyles.

Most of the defensive backs have dyed their hair in a similar fashion, something that gets others’ attention as soon as they step on the field.

Senior cornerback Joshua Holsey said the trend has really caught on.

“We really just tried to be different,” Holsey said. “We wanted to stand out coming into this year. We wanted to make sure when we step on the field, everyone [knows], ‘Oh, there come the DB’s.’”

Junior T.J. Davis is said to have started the trend, and everyone else quickly went along. Well, almost everyone.

“I don’t know if everyone is going to do it,” Holsey said. “I don’t think (Jonathan) Jones has come over the hump of doing it yet. We’ve got most of the guys on it.”

Ford said he thinks the group will convince Jones eventually.

“He’ll probably jump on board in a couple of weeks,” Ford said.

Ford said the group plans to keep the hairstyles the same for a while.

“We hope to keep doing it throughout the season,” Ford said. “We’re all brothers, and what one of us does, we’re all going to stick together. It’s a nice little trend for us.”

Ford said the hair is just a small way to unify the group while they pursue a common goal.

“Our biggest thing is this year, winning’s the biggest factor for us,” Ford said. “This year we really want to take the next step.”

Holsey agreed that unity is a crucial part of the Tigers’ achieving their goal for this season.

“We’re really just all out here for the same common goal,” Holsey said. “That’s to win a national championship.”

Share and discuss “Defensive backs unified on and off the field” on social media.