OPINION: FFRF is hypocritically intolerant

Recently, the Freedom From Religion Foundation, or FFRF, wrote a letter to Auburn University requesting the removal of Chette Williams, Auburn’s team chaplain.

Anders Seidel, FFRF’s attorney, said the Foundation had asked for records from Auburn but that Auburn never sent them, which is what resulted in the request to remove Williams.

Seidel said that the records requested could be used to prove the unconstitutionality of Auburn’s having a team chaplain.

Fourteen other universities were sent reports as well, many of which are part of the SEC.

While there may be others as well, Seidel said the University of Alabama failed to send the requested documents.

The FFRF’s website states the reports included a “model policy for universities to adopt,” such as “hiring a counselor with genuine training if student athletes are truly in need.”

Also according to their website, the FFRF’s purpose is “to promote the constitutional principle of separation of state and church, and to educate the public on matters relating to nontheism.” Merriam-Webster defines theism as “the belief that God exists or that many gods exist.”

While we understand it is not right to force any particular religion on anyone, in this case, student athletes, we feel as though the request to remove Williams was completely unnecessary.

For one, participation is voluntary. With this in mind, we also believe athletes should have the opportunity to access resources, such as a chaplain, representing other religions as well.

We were unable to get in touch with the athletics department at Auburn about whether or not these types of services representing other religions have already been made available or not.

The FFRF’s request for the removal of Williams is not only unnecessary, it’s hypocritical.

The FFRF promotes the separation of church and state, which is fine.

We believe separation of church and state is important. But Williams is not paid by Auburn.

Lastly, the FFRF argues that by Auburn having a team chaplain, there is the possibility of religion being imposed on players.

But because participating in services the chaplain provides is voluntary, requiring Auburn to remove Williams would be violating freedom of religion, which is unconstitutional.

Because of this, we find it hypocritical for the FFRF to ask us to remove our team chaplain on the grounds of unconstitutionality.

Share and discuss “OPINION: FFRF is hypocritically intolerant ” on social media.