Farmer's Market ends on a high note

The Market at Ag Heritage Park had its final farmer's market for the summer Thursday, Aug. 27. From peaches to poundcake, vendors sold their products to local residents.

"It's a shame that [the market] couldn't go a little longer," said George Rogers of Pecan Point Farm. "Look at these tables, they're loaded with produce. And what are they going to do with this produce next week?"

Rogers said that improving the venue may help bring out more customers.

"There's little effort that goes into organizing and advertising this market," Rogers said. "But if we had just a little shade on campus, with parking and vehicle access, it would be a lot better."

Taylor Hatchett of A New Leaf Farm Stand said the benefits of a farmer's market are what brings out students.

"It's a huge health and wellness benefit," Hatchett said. "If you're eating fresh and eating local, then chances are you're cooking your own food [and] not eating fast food."

Hatchett said because most of what consumers buy in the grocery store comes from California and Florida, most of our money is being spent out of state. She said she thinks students should come out and support local farmers to keep money in state.

"I think it's great to encourage support of local farmers to help the local economy," Hatchett said. "That way, the money stays closer to home."

A New Leaf Farm Stand is a business that partners with Boozer Farms in Thorsby, AL to bring fresh produce to corporate businesses. Hatchett said. They work with the company's human resource department and set up in offices for businesses like Children's Hospital.

"We set up a farm stand [inside] so it allows their employees, who a lot of times can't make it to local farmer's markets access to fresh local produce," Hatchett said. "We've thoroughly enjoyed running it."

Leslie Starnes, veterinary medicine graduate student, said she's been coming to the market during the summer.

"The prices are comparable," Starnes said. "It's better than the grocery store [prices]. I'd say the produce looks better, too, depending on where you go."

Starnes and Rogers agreed they wish the market could be held year-round so it would be easier to get this fresh, locally grown produce.

"Now I don't know that it's the university's responsibility to provide space for a farmer's market," Rogers said. "But if there's a community interest and community support for it, well it's too bad that we couldn't have it a little longer."

Rogers said he thinks tailgaters would buy produce at the market.

"But again, football season starts soon and they need this tailgating spot," Rogers said.

The market will start up again in late spring of 2016. Many of the vendors who sold their products at the market this summer also sell their goods at Blooming Colors and the Crepe Myrtle Cafe, so students can still purchase locally grown goods throughout the year.

Share and discuss “Farmer's Market ends on a high note” on social media.