University stands behind gun policy

Every college and university has its own policy on carrying weapons and firearms. 

Earlier this year, Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange launched an investigation into those laws. He was concerned about complaints that some university gun bans violate state gun laws. 

Melvin Owens, executive director of public safety and security, said decisions about Auburn's gun policy are made based on establishing the safest atmosphere possible. 

“We believe that it is in the best interests of everyone to maintain a safe and orderly environment,” Owens said. 

The current weapons policy, which can be found under “University policies” on Auburn’s website, “prohibits the possession and use of any dangerous or potentially dangerous weapon or instrument(s) . . . on all University properties, with limited exceptions.”

However, this policy only extends to campus. There is a slight variation for employees.

The policy states that an employee may not carry a firearm on campus, either, but may keep one in his or her personal vehicle:

“An employee may not possess firearms on campus or while otherwise engaged in duties associated with their employment, except for a firearm properly maintained in a personal vehicle in a manner consistent with Alabama law.”

There is a long history of debate on the subject of weapon possession that extends throughout the entire country.

Auburn University College Democrat president Calvin Wilborn said he believes it is unnecessary for anyone to carry a weapon of any sort on campus.

“I just don’t think period that weapons should be on campus,” Wilborn said. “Even if you’re trained to handle a gun.”

According to Owens, the policy is put under periodic review whenever a new problem arises or something is brought to the board’s attention.

“Each new age has weapons that you would have never thought of,” Owens said. “For example, Tasers.”

There is a long process to undergo for policy revisions.

“Depending upon the area, we would look at what the cause is, a group would meet to discuss, then peer institutions, and then draft a position and send for review,” Owens said.

Auburn has gone even farther to protect its students, faculty and staff than just maintaining a strict gun policy. Safety classes have also been offered to students since 2008.

“We have an active shooter response training course,” Corbett said. “We like to say that it’s something people can take with them for the rest of their lives.”

The department of public safety and security offers classes to the faculty as well, and the group has visited businesses and schools demonstrating safety precautions to take in cases of emergency.

Corbett says the university does work with students who may feel differently about the strict policies and have a different agenda.

“We do have a program for students that are from out of town or just like hunting,” Corbett said. “They have the ability to go to our office and check a weapon in and then check it back out.”

Although Wilborn believes it isn’t safe to house weapons anywhere on campus, he hopes Auburn will continue improving safety regulations on campus weapons.

“I don’t think at any point it would be necessary to carry a gun when we’ve spent so much time, energy and resources to make sure that the proper personnel will be at an emergency situation,” Wilborn said.

Share and discuss “University stands behind gun policy” on social media.