OPINION: Being a fifth year is overrated

How many times has someone said to you, “Stay in college as long as possible?” It is a phrase I heard over and over again my first four years in college. A phrase that looking back on now, I wish I had never listened to, because being a fifth year is not all its cracked up to be.

I don’t know when all of my friends decided to graduate on time, because as far as I knew, we were all going to stay an extra semester or two. Imagine my surprise when May 2015 rolled around, and they all graduated. I used to think that doing a victory lap was the norm, but based on the extreme lack of familiar faces on campus, I’m starting to think otherwise.

I know that by being a fifth year I am only one year older then the seniors this year, but I feel as old as my grandmother. When you are sitting in the student center alone, listening to people around you talk about their new fake IDs, you will start to feel old too.

I love the city of Auburn, and I think in my four and a half years here, I can proudly say I have been everywhere and seen everything at least five times. I severely need a change of scenery, and not just for a weekend. I mean for a few years. I started going out to Opelika recently because there are a few places I haven’t seen over there, and I cannot tell you how refreshing that is.

I am also so tired of my parents having to support me. My parents get annoyed by it. I get annoyed by it. It is a lose/lose situation for all parties involved. Yes, it is so great not having to pay for anything, but I cannot wait to have all my own responsibilities.

Basically, what I’m getting at is if you have the chance to graduate on time, do it. Do not listen to all the people who tell you to stay in college as long as possible. It’s not fun, and unless you like feeling like a grandmother at the age of 22, and you enjoy going to the movie theatre alone with a popcorn bucket that you used to share with your friends, then I suggest you order that cap and gown ASAP and get excited for the next chapter in your life.

I cannot wait for mine. 

Share and discuss “OPINION: Being a fifth year is overrated” on social media.