​Historic Auburn Pond to undergo improvements

Following an agreement between the Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine and Auburn University, a historic 2-acre pond built on campus in 1937 will undergo construction this fall.

The pond is located behind the new VCOM campus, off South Donahue Drive. 

This is the second of two ponds built by Auburn University fishery scientist Homer Swingle.  According to Auburn University’s biography of Swingle, he is the “father of modern aquaculture.”

Swingle was an important figure in Auburn history according to the Wildlife Bulletin. 

“Dr. Homer Scott Swingle was one of the greatest fisheries scientists who ever lived. Dr. Swingle’s research has led to the creation of millions of acres of productive waters,” the bulletin said. 

Having set this precedent, the pond has been used in the past by Auburn University forestry and wildlife sciences students for research and labs.

Jamie Anderson, communications & marketing for Auburn school of forestry and wildlife science, said the school will put those activities on hold during renovations.

“After polling our faculty and adjunct professors, it appears that the School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences does not presently have any active research projects or teaching plans that involve the pond at this time,” Anderson said. 

The project, approved by the Board of Trustees in April, includes an agreement between VCOM and Auburn to allow VCOM students and faculty, Auburn students and the Auburn community to enjoy the newly constructed site upon its completion.

Bill Price, VCOM vice president of operations, said this project is a way of giving back to the community. 

“It will provide a relaxing, natural environment near the VCOM campus for our students to enjoy between classes,” Price said. 

The pond will be drained so that the structure and dam can be repaired before they will add a path and two boardwalks.

These repairs will be paid for by VCOM, as well as the path and any future maintenance required.

According to Ben Burmester, campus planner, these renovations are needed. 

“The outlet structure is undersized and cannot handle excess water flow causing the pond to overtop the spillway and dam after heavy rains. The dam is showing signs of deterioration and water seepage,” Burmester said. 

The School of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Aquatic Sciences is doing its best to remove as much wildlife from the pond as possible before the construction begins, according to the Auburn Newsroom.

Once the initial repairs and construction are complete, not only can the pond continue to be used for research, but its new features will allow for it to be used for campus beautification and enjoyment.

“We look forward to learning more as the site plan evolves,” Anderson said.

Share and discuss “​Historic Auburn Pond to undergo improvements” on social media.