AIGA holds benefit concert at Mama Mocha's

Music, mochas, and money. The three m’s were all present at Mama Mocha’s on Friday, October 3 for the Auburn chapter of American Institute of Graphic Art’s (AIGA) benefit concert.

Music, mochas, and money. The three m’s were all present at Mama Mocha’s on Friday, Oct. 2 for the Auburn chapter of American Institute of Graphic Art’s (AIGA) benefit concert.

The concert included three different artists: Nathan Coker, Estelia and the Lady Legs.

Nathan Coker and some members of the Lady Legs are students at Auburn.

Coker, the first musician of the night to perform, is an art major here at Auburn who will be graduating this semester.

Coker said that the turnout for the concert was unsurprising, as the music lovers in Auburn always show up when a concert is involved.

“There is a pretty loyal music loving group in Auburn," Coker said. "They all tend to come out for these events."

Estelia, a Montgomery native who was on his first visit to Auburn, took the stage after Coker's performance.

Estelia’s electronic beats came complete with visual accompaniment in the form of a series of images displayed on a TV at the front of the stage and tangible props, like a kiddie pool filled with balloons and a dismantled mannequin.

President of the AIGA chapter at Auburn, Laura Walks, said that she was excited to have Estelia at the event.

“He is super cool," Walks said. "He played at South by Southwest last year … I’m super excited for him to be here."

Lady Legs, the members of which are industrial design students at Auburn, performed later. 

Sarah Gills, owner of Mama Mocha’s, said she was impressed by the amount of people who came out to the event.

"There are a ton of people here," Gills said. "This is a really large turnout”.

Jessica Chambliss, an officer for AIGA and attendant of the event, said that she was having fun supporting the musicians and a good cause.

“ I love hearing local music …. I appreciate that," Chambliss said. "And of course, I also came for AIGA."

Proceeds from the event will go towards the AIGA and will enable the club to host graphic design events in the future and pay for notable graphic designers to come speak to students.

Share and discuss “AIGA holds benefit concert at Mama Mocha's” on social media.