Alternative hair care with eggs

Remember that time you thought that maybe avocados weren’t just for eating? And then you proceeded to maybe put it on your face in the name of exfoliation and healthy skin?

Well perhaps you don’t, but if you thought it couldn’t get weirder than smudging green paste all over your face and putting cucumbers over your eyes, you might be surprised.

Instead of putting fruit guts on your face for radiant skin, why not make it better by putting egg in your hair?

Then take it a step farther: add some coconut oil.

And olive oil.

And maybe a bit of honey.

You’ll get this cute greasy yellow mixture with some leftover chunks of coconut oil floating on the surface, which of course encourages you to try this concoction.

Not really.

So why would you do it?

Believe it or not, this combination of protein and oil makes hair shinier, softer and healthier.

Without boring you with the science of amino acids and the like, let’s just say that your hair is made of proteins and omega-3, which eggs have a lot of. So do coconut oil and olive oil. So when you massage this homemade hair mask into your hair, you’re basically giving your hair an extra dose of what it needs to grow.

Plus, the natural sulfates in eggs make your hair soft and shiny.

Now that I’ve convinced you that this is a good—albeit kind of gross and messy—weekend experiment, let’s move on to the do’s and don’ts.

If the egg is at room temperature, the coconut oil mix in more easily so you don’t have those awkward chunks.

Do some trial and error. Everyone has a different hair type. If you have dry hair, you may not have a problem with the oils. If you tend to have oily hair, use less oil.

Mess with quantity. A good starting point is 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and 1 teaspoon of olive oil.

The most important part of the mask is massaging it into your scalp. But for maximum softness and shininess, rub it into the ends of your hair too. Don’t comb it. Just run it through your hair your fingers.

Also, don’t leave the hair mask in longer than 30 minutes unless you want your hair to smell like burnt plastic (coconut oil will do that to you). Wash your hair a couple of times, let it dry and behold the shine and softness.

Pro Tip: Don’t do the mask every day. Too much oil will leave build up in your hair. At most, do this every couple weeks or once a month.

That way you can use the eggs and eat them too.

Share and discuss “Alternative hair care with eggs” on social media.