SGA's Homecoming parade takes to the streets

Students and families gathered along the streets to watch the Auburn University Marching Band lead this year's Homecoming parade.

Multi-colored floats rolled down the street, each one larger than the next. Some depicted Gus Malzahn while others featured their version of Aubie in Jordan-Hare Stadium. 

Walker Byrd, SGA president, said he was excited about the turnout.

"It's cool to see the Auburn family come out and support this place we all call home," Byrd said. "And [they] come back home and enjoy the concert, enjoy the parade together."

Byrd said he believes that this year's Homecoming parade was comparable to last year's.

"We did a great job publicizing it," Byrd said. "I think we saw more of the community out there around the parade."

Gavin Thomas, senior in media studies, said he came out to watch the floats.

"I hope to see really good floats, really creative floats," Thomas said. "[If I don't,] I'm going to get upset because I once decorated a float."

Thomas said he decorated a float a few years ago with his fraternity, spending "at least two or three all-nighters" to build it. 

"The chicken wire was really hard to mold," Thomas said. 

Thomas said he hopes that this year's floats will live up to his standards.

"My Aubie head was so good," Thomas said. "And I'm looking for the Aubie heads to be just as good."

Mallory Meagher, the director of Homecoming, said the parade was a success.

"We had all our great participants and they did amazing with everything we needed them to do," Meagher said. "The Auburn Family showed up to support us."

The Top Five Miss Homecoming candidates waved to the crowds as orange and blue beaded necklaces were handed out.

Byrd said it's been inspiring to hear the Miss Homecoming candidates share their platforms with the student body.

Amanda Zitzer, graduate student in athletic training, said she enjoyed the different floats this year.

"I've never seen a parade like that before," Zitzer said. 

Although Zitzer found it hard to pick a favorite in the parade, she said she enjoyed "the military/ROTC" performance.

"Honestly, I was here for the cheerleaders," Zitzer said. "I have a little infatuation with them."

The winners of the Omicron Delta Kappa float competition will be announced at halftime at the football game tomorrow, according to Meagher.

Share and discuss “SGA's Homecoming parade takes to the streets” on social media.