Spectrum Pride Week kicks off with LGBTQI student panel

The Multicultural Center and Spectrum hosted their annual LGBTQI Student Panel Discussion as the kick-off event of Spectrum Pride Week.

The panel of three students opened the floor to any questions the audience had for the hour discussion.

Max Zinner, Spectrum director of political affairs and senior in anthropology and history, said the purpose of public panel is to educate campus on LGBTQI issues.

The panelists spoke about their personal college and pre-college experiences as part of the LGBTQI community and about their religious affiliations.

“I haven’t seen too much (difficulty in being part of the LGBTQI community),” Zinner said. “Personally, I have never felt much of an issue.”

Chris Horn, senior in psychology and former officer of Spectrum, said he told his parents he was transgender freshman year.

“The first thing my dad did was run to his priest,” Horn said. “The priest sat him down and basically said, ‘This is your child. You should love him no matter what and support him no matter what. Because the most important thing you could do for your child is make sure they're happy and they're healthy.’”

Horn said the University has made improvements in assisting and protecting transgender individuals in adding the option of preferred names on class rosters, housing protection and unisex bathrooms on campus.

“The campus itself and the religious community on campus has been very accepting,” Horn said. “Overall, I would say Auburn is very accepting, considering it’s a conservative campus.”

Liam Youngblood, Spectrum director of event planning and junior in social studies education, said Student Counseling Services has also progressed in terms of assisting LGBTQI students.

“Like what Chris said, when he first went (to Student Counseling), nobody knew how to talk to him,” Youngblood said. “Now sexuality and gender issues are listed on the website as one of the things they specialize in.”

Youngblood and Horn gave testimonies about their roommate experiences, one including a situation with Greek Life members.

“Now we also have openly gay lesbians who are in Greek life,” Horn said. “So it varies from sorority to sorority and fraternity to fraternity as well. But I would say as things have become more friendly on campus as well, I think all of them have become more friendly. ”

The panel also discussed how to appropriately and accurately use terms such as queer, gender fluid and transgender in addition to their experiences in the workplaces as members of the LGBTQI community.

Spectrum will be on the concourse from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. this week and will host other events, such as LGBT National Coming Out Day Celebration on Oct. 6.

Other Pride Week events: 

Tuesday, Oct. 6 - Comedian Alison Grillo  will be in the Foy Auditorium 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. 

Wednesday, Oct. 7 - Lavender Speaker Series the Foy Auditorium from 6-8 p.m.

Thursday, Oct. 8 - Dialogue of the Heart in Student Center Room 2310 from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. 

Share and discuss “Spectrum Pride Week kicks off with LGBTQI student panel” on social media.